Methodist Corner: Ok, I Admit It. I'm Scared.

Methodist Corner

So much to do, so little time. You'll find here, from time to time, posts on various topics. Whatever has my attention at the moment will find it's way here.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Ok, I Admit It. I'm Scared.

Actually, TERRIFIED is more like it. What do you do when you find yourself face to face with fear? I know what your thinking. "Where's your faith brother?" Well, that's the exact question I'm hoping you'll help me answer. How do you find you're faith when confronted with the possibility that deep within you lurks a sniveling coward who's greatest wish is to remain hidden within the dark recesses of your seldom visited past?

I think I know how Moses must have felt when God told him to return to Egypt. Here Moses is, standing in the very presence of God, witnessing what can only be described as a miracle - "The Burning Bush", and still finds room for doubt. "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" Moses asks. At this point, you'd think it wouldn't matter what you thought of yourself. God says "Go", so go. What more do you need?

I ask myself that question. "What more do I need?" But, unlike Moses, I haven't had that "burning bush" experience. Or have I? You see, in the dark recesses of my being, where the "sniveling coward" waits, there appears to be something invading his space. It is just a tiny pin-prick of brilliant white light. There! Hovering in the darkness... I'll cover it with my thumb... That doesn't help... It seems to know my very thoughts, anticipates my every action... This way, that way, it moves just enough to evade my fumbling... Is it growing? No, that can't be. STOP, NO, they'll see me. They can't see me. What will they think. They'll know me for who and what I really am. But what does it matter? He sees me, He knows me, but in spite of it all, has chosen me anyway. Should I surrender? Give in to the intruder? I can't, but I must. It's death, but it's life.

Jesus said "I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness." (Joh 12:46)

So, what is it that I'm afraid of? Terrified of?
Moving. That's it. Moving. My wife and I feel that God is leading us to Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky. That would mean leaving our small Mississippi hometown and moving 481 miles away. I know it's not that far, but for me, it might as well be on the other side of the planet. Mississippi has been my home for thirty-three of my thirty-six years. I have a good job that pays well, a nice home, and family nearby. I'm comfortable, I'm content, what could God possibly want with me?

God almighty, what in the world are You thinking? I can't do this. You're asking me to leave the only home I've ever known, drag my children away from their family and friends, and ask my wife to do the same. I thought I had given You everthing you wanted. Who knew You'd ask for my life as well? But that's exactly what you're asking for isn't it?

For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever. Amen. I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
(Rom 11:36,12:1)

Please pray for us.

Filed In:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad don't be scared think of as a adventure in Christ.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Carol Brooks and I am originally from India. I thought you may be interested in how I came to the US in 1998, shutting down our business before leaving. This was not a fun decision as it was our (Teenage son and 9 year old daughter) only source of income.

http://www.inplainsite.org/html/song_of_solomon.html

I guess the only time I really got cold feet was when the plane was coming on for a landing in Seattle.. *Smile.

Take Care

7:03 PM  
Blogger crevo said...

I've heard wonderful things about Asbury Seminary. God bless you on your journey.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm another Asbury Seminary graduate, along with my husband. It's a good school and you will be glad you went there. We had some good years. Nicholasville and Lexington aren't too far away for shopping and such if you aren't used to small towns. Probably the hardest part of the whole thing will be the physical act of moving all of your stuff and saying goodbye to people.

If you want to connect with current and past students, go to the ATS website and they have a list of blogs written by many of them. My blog link is there also. Lawson Stone, who was another student when I was there and is now teaching at ATS has a blogsite too. There's nothing to fear unless you just enjoy being scared. (The part about being poor kind of stunk but we made it. Builds character- and a lot of "characters" graduated from ATS, in a good sense of the word.) People there tend to be a little bit nicer and more helpful than most places.
God Bless You!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home