Methodist Corner: There's No Such Thing as a Silly Question!

Methodist Corner

So much to do, so little time. You'll find here, from time to time, posts on various topics. Whatever has my attention at the moment will find it's way here.

Friday, February 17, 2006

There's No Such Thing as a Silly Question!

In a recent email exchange from the United Methodist eMail group someone wrote the following.

"The questions we vigorously debate will be revealed as the work of Satan to divide us."
The following was my response...

Work of Satan? The debate maybe, the division probably, but the questions... I don't think so.
It's not the questions that divide us, but the hardness of our hearts. Some will say that the questions/debate about "non-essentials" aren't all that important. I disagree. Our conclusions concerning "non-essentials" may not be important, but the questions certainly are. They represent humanity's need to know it's creator. Your questions, my questions, can reveal more about us than our "statement of beliefs". It's what we don't know or what we're unsure of that pushes us forward in our quest for truth. Is it possible for God to be glorified through our debate? Certainly. The search for truth, for God's own truth, can be a glorious "means of grace".

I have a very dear friend who believes "once-saved always-saved". I disagree. I met Bob in a UMC Sunday School class where every morning we would discuss various "theological" issues. The teacher always seemed to steer clear of the tough questions and would never contradict statements made by anyone, no matter how far from orthodox they were. Somehow we got on the subject of OSAS and Bob made the emphatic claim that he would question the salvation of anyone who didn't believe it. We went back and forth for a few minutes and eventually agreed to "debate" the OSAS position next Sunday.

Some of the church leaders were absolutely terrified. All they could see was division, and they just knew that this was going to "tear the church apart". That next Sunday, we had our debate and in the classroom were several people that hadn't been there in quite some time. You see, the word had gotten out that Allen and Bob would be debating a very contentious subject and people wanted to be there to see what all the fuss was about. Maybe they came just to see a good fight, but the outcome was miraculous. I didn't change Bob's mind, and he didn't change mine. I'm not sure that anyone changed their mind concerning OSAS, but people were changed. I can't tell you how many people came up to me afterward to express their new found excitement. Apparently, our "questions" had prompted other "questions". People who hadn't read their Bibles in years we're not just reading them, but studying them. Their questions were prompting them to learn more of who God is.

My wife and I have been married fifteen years. Each day brings me new insight into who she is and what my response as her husband should be. As I seek to know and understand her, my love and appreciation for her grows. Our relationship with God is much the same. As we seek to know Him, we find out just how lovely He is.

As for me and Bob, what others thought would tear us apart, has led to a long and lasting friendship. Participating with others seeking to "know" God in a meaningful way, seeing the expressions of God's grace in their lives, and seeing God from their perspective can have a profound impact on our spiritual growth.

Paul had something to say about our "debates". He said, "Each person must be fully convinced in their own mind." He of course, was talking about the debate over food and festivals, but I think the passage from Romans 14 applies to our "non-essential" debates as well

...End response

This has really started me thinking, about how we tell our children that there is no such thing as a silly question, especially when they're just trying to learn about this world they live in. Do you think God ever thinks our "questions" are "silly"?

Filed In:

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

This was terrific! I've often wondered why we can't do this more often, but then I realize that there are few who will allow themselves to simply "discuss" when their true intent is to "straighten out" the other.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your reasoning.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home