Methodist Corner: Evangelicals: For or Against, the War in Iraq?

Methodist Corner

So much to do, so little time. You'll find here, from time to time, posts on various topics. Whatever has my attention at the moment will find it's way here.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Evangelicals: For or Against, the War in Iraq?

That's a tough one to call. There's much being said today about the Republican party being hijacked by the "religious right"; but does any political party truly embody the ideals and principals revealed to us by our Holy Creator? I think not. As a self proclaimed evangelical, I am becoming increasingly disillusioned by all things political and yearn for "a better way".

As for the war in Iraq, this article from Christianity Today caused me to pause this morning and re-evaluate my feelings. I must confess, I find myself now more confused than ever. The question I keep asking myself is "does the end justify the means?" I think the question I should be asking is "Do the means reflect Christian love?" If the answer is "no", it doesn't matter what the end is.

Here's another one to ponder. If it's okay to send troops to a foreign country to violently depose a tyrant, then why do we condemn the one who bombs an abortion clinic? I know, I know, one is sanctioned by the government, the other is not; and government is ordained by God. Okay, good answer. So then why seek to depose a foreign government if it's ordained by God? No, no, wait a minute, I think I know the answer. That was "bad" government, ours is "good" government. Sorry, but I'm still confused.

Filed In:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if this will help, but is it possiblie that we are simply one government being used as a tool used by God to judge another government; as were the Babylonians to judge Isreal?

4:52 AM  
Blogger Greg Hazelrig said...

I'm not sure that I agree with the anonymous comment. I do, however, think that you (Allan) make a good point here that we must think about.

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home