Methodist Corner: Understanding the Trinity

Methodist Corner

So much to do, so little time. You'll find here, from time to time, posts on various topics. Whatever has my attention at the moment will find it's way here.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Understanding the Trinity

Click on the graphic for a larger image.

I based my design of the diagram of the Trinity on the classical Shield of the Trinity, which you can see examples of here on Wikipedia.

Often times when people ask me to explain the doctrine of the Trinity, I'll reply, "I can't explain it, but I can draw it." I'll then roughly sketch the "Trinity Shield". It really helps with young people. Recently I tried explaining the Trinity to my daughter. Try explaining "co-equal, co-eternal, etc..." to a 9 year old. When I drew the shield for her, she actually said "Oh, now I get it." How much she really understands remains to be seen, but for now, it's good enough just to have something that will inform her thoughts as she pursues various theological topics. Having that mental image of the Trinity will help her understanding of other doctrines as well, such as, the incarnation and atonement. It certainly has helped me.
Filed In:

5 Comments:

Blogger John said...

That's a good model!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's very good. though it reminds me esp the colours of a CND logo - which isn't a bad thing - just an association

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

came back for another look. Did you design this ? Could I use it?

2:30 PM  
Blogger Allen said...

Lorna,

I based my design on the classical Shield of the Trinity, which you can see examples of here.

Feel free to use it anyway you wish.

Blessings

2:53 PM  
Blogger Johan Sundström said...

It would incidentally also make a rather intriguing steering wheel decoration. Whether this comes out as a highly ironic statement or a really inspired idea, is largely in the eye of the beholder. (I have always loved a good diagram that put complex concepts into imagery. This one certainly qualifies.)

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home