Methodist Corner: Methodist Rulings Reinforce Traditional Church Policy on Homosexuality

Methodist Corner

So much to do, so little time. You'll find here, from time to time, posts on various topics. Whatever has my attention at the moment will find it's way here.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Methodist Rulings Reinforce Traditional Church Policy on Homosexuality

It seems that the most obvious thing to write about today would be the recent decisions by the United Methodist Judicial counsel regarding homosexuality and the church. In an article on ChristianityToday.com, Kevin Eckstrom says...
The twin rulings represent a major setback for liberals who advocate greater inclusion of homosexuals in the nation's second-largest Protestant denomination, and served to reinforce church policy on homosexuality as ironclad.
I should be happy, right? So why do I feel so heartbroken? Don't get me wrong, I agree with the decisions. I agree with our "Discipline" that says...
The practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. Therefore self-avowed practicing homosexuals are not to be certified as candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church.
But it also says that all persons are of "sacred worth". Knowing this, I can't help but feel sympathy for those that are hurting because of these decisions. While this may drive us closer to "schism", it is still my prayer that God would mend the divide between us, as He draws us closer to Himself.

Filed In:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home