Methodist Corner: Disciplined Disciple

Methodist Corner

So much to do, so little time. You'll find here, from time to time, posts on various topics. Whatever has my attention at the moment will find it's way here.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Disciplined Disciple

     My daughter, Marianne, asked me what she could do to improve her writing. She's only 9, but she loves to write about anything and everything. It doesn't matter to her; Fiction, non-fiction, or somewhere in between. Just put her in front of a computer or put a pen in her hand and she writes. She comes up with some amazingly creative story lines with complex characters. Anyway, enough bragging, back to the question.
     "What can I do to improve my writing?" she asked.
     "Just write," I replied. "Write every day whether you want to or not. A sentence, a paragraph, or a page full, just write."
     Reflecting on her question makes me think of "discipleship" and what we can do to walk closer each day with the Prince of Peace. I realize that the answer is much the same.
     "Pray each day whether you want to or not. One minute or one hour, just pray. Read your Bible each day whether you want to or not. A verse, a chapter, a book, just read. Show people each day that you love them whether you want to or not." Being a disciple requires discipline; imagine that. I hate to admit it, but that's something I need desperately to work on. But once again, my little girl gets to teach me a thing or two.
     "Lord help me to take my own advice each day and become a disciplined disciple"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home