Methodist Corner: Schaeffer on "The Trinity"

Methodist Corner

So much to do, so little time. You'll find here, from time to time, posts on various topics. Whatever has my attention at the moment will find it's way here.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Schaeffer on "The Trinity"

"Every once in a while in my discussions someone asks me how I can believe in the Trinity. My answer is always the same. I would still be an agnostic if there were no Trinity, because there would be no answers. Without the high order of personal unity and diversity as given in the Trinity, there are no answers.

The Persons of the Trinity communicated with each other and loved each other before the creation of the world. This is not only an answer to the acute philosophical need of unity in diversity, but of personal unity and diversity... We must appreciate that our Christian forefathers understood this very well in A.D. 325 when they stressed the three persons in the Trinity as the Bible had clearly set this forth. Let us notice that it is not that they invented the Trinity in order to give an answer to the philosophical questions which the Greeks had at that time understood. It is quite the contrary... The Christians realized that in the Trinity, as it had been taught in the Bible, they had an answer that no one else had. They did not invent the Trinity to meet the need; the Trinity was already there and it met the needs.

Let us notice again that this is not the best answer; it is the only answer. Nobody else, no philosophy has ever given us an answer to unity and diversity."

--by Francis Schaeffer, from He Is There and He Is Not Silent

Filed In:

2 Comments:

Blogger Community of the Holy Trinity said...

Thanks for posting this quote from Francis Schaeffer. In college I found him tedious. I have been thinking I should revisit him. This quote confirms that.
Also, it has always puzzeled me how his son Franky Schaeffer ended up Orthodox. But given this quote Francis may have been almost there himself.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Allen said...

I was recently introduced to Schaeffer by my "mentor" who suggested I read the Francis Schaeffer Trilogy. I've started compiling quotes of his and that has me really looking forward to reading his work.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home