Methodist Corner: The Pursuit of God

Methodist Corner

So much to do, so little time. You'll find here, from time to time, posts on various topics. Whatever has my attention at the moment will find it's way here.

Friday, October 21, 2005

The Pursuit of God

For some time now, I've been trying to put into words what I had in mind when I chose the name for this site, "Methodist Corner". I think the new tag line, "where God's previous working meets man's present response" (under the site name above), really captures the essence of what I was thinking. That is to say, things happen when God meets man. I wish I could take credit for it, but it actually comes from A.W. Tozer's book The Pursuit of God.

"We pursue God because, and only because, He has first put an urge within us that spurs us to the pursuit. `No man can come to me,' said our Lord, `except the Father which hath sent me draw him,' and it is by this very prevenient drawing that God takes from us every vestige of credit for he act of coming. The impulse to pursue God originates with God, but the outworking of that impulse is our following hard after Him; and all the time we are pursuing Him we are already in His hand: `Thy right hand upholdeth me.' In this divine `upholding' and human `following' there is no contradiction. All is of God, for as von Hugel teaches, God is always previous.

In practice, however, (that is, where God's previous working meets man's present response) man must pursue God. On our part there must be positive reciprocation if this secret drawing of God is to eventuate in identifiable experience of the Divine. In the warm language of personal feeling this is stated in the Forty-second Psalm: `As the hart panteth after the waterbrooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?' This is deep calling unto deep, and the longing heart will understand it."
Follow this link to read the entire book online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home